Our skilled dentist may recommend a dental crown to restore the strength and appearance of your tooth if it has been damaged. Also known as dental caps, this restoration covers the entire visible portion of your tooth to protect and restore it. Crowns are typically recommended to restore teeth that have sustained serious damage or decay, and they are custom-made to fit the tooth perfectly.
Some of the most common uses for crowns include:
- Protecting a tooth following root canal treatment
- Anchoring and attaching dental bridges
- Covering and completing a dental implant
- Enhancing the beauty of your smile
- Improving the appearance of misshapen teeth
- Strengthening teeth that are fractured and weak
- Supporting teeth with large fillings and little natural tooth structure left
Dental crowns may be made from several materials, including gold, porcelain and porcelain fused to metal. Porcelain crowns in particular are popular as they blend in with your natural teeth to provide a beautiful result.
Crowns typically require two appointments to complete. During the first, the tooth is prepared and an impression is taken. The crown is then sent to a dental lab to be created. When you return for the second appointment, our dentist will place the crown and check it to ensure that it fits properly, after which it will be bonded to your tooth to provide a long-term solution.
For more information about the benefits of dental crowns in San Bernardino, California, and to set up an appointment with Dr. Shaileshkumar Bhatt, call Arrowhead Family Dentistry today at 909-889-3300.