Cracked teeth can lead to a variety of problems for your smile and oral health. There are many types of cracked teeth, and when you visit Arrowhead Family Dentistry, we will work with you to determine which type of crack you have developed and which treatment will be most appropriate to repair your tooth and restore your smile.
All cracked teeth exhibit the same symptoms. These symptoms include:
- Pain while chewing
- Sensitivity to temperature
- Release of biting pressure
- Intermittent pain
Some of the most common types of cracks and their treatments include:
- Craze lines — small cracks in the outer enamel. Treatments to resolve this crack are usually cosmetic as the crack itself rarely requires treatment.
- Fractured cusps — a crack that occurs when the raised points of your teeth weaken and break off. Crowns are usually the treatment recommended for this type of crack.
- Cracked tooth — a crack that extends from the chewing surface towards the root. Root canals are often necessary as damage to the pulp is common.
- Split tooth — usually the result of a cracked tooth that is left untreated, split teeth are broken into distinct segments. If the tooth can be saved, it will need root canal treatment.
- Vertical root fracture — a crack that begins at the root and extends to the chewing surface. This tooth will most likely need to be extracted.
To schedule a consultation with our dentist, Dr. Shaileshkumar Bhatt, and find out more about treatment for cracked teeth in San Bernardino, California, contact our office today at 909-889-3300. We are here to help you!